Saturday, July 18, 2009

What you really don't want to hear.

I was at work the other day, and as I was walking around the unit. I was struck my the multiple conversations that were going on. I also thought some of them were quite amusing. It taught me a valuable lesson. That eavesdropping is not a good thing in a hospital.
Some of the following actually occurred.
Doc 1" So where do you think it is connected?"
Doc 2 " Don't know I was just wondering where it comes out?"
Doc 1 " It comes out?" said with some surprise
Doc 2" yep, because if you don't get it out of there. Can't put a new one in it's place."
They are actually talking about moving a computer station for the new lab. They closed the curtain so no one would see them looking online at the design. I had thought they they were doing a procedure. another fine example occurred just yesterday.
Nurse " I don't think you want to do that."
Patient " Yes you want it to swell as big as you can"
Nurse " come on how big can it get?"
Patient" Well last time one swelled so big my girlfriend missed it coming "
Nurse" Yeah wouldn't want to mess around with something that big. I would want to see that coming."
I then asked to come in as I entered the patient was sitting there fully clothed. Showing pictures to the nurse of his trip surfing in Hawaii. The were talking the size of the waves he was seeing. I just started laughing. I have since learned not to really listen to only partial conversations
Enjoy your weekend and let me know if anything like that has happened to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment